The Prophet (Pbuh) said: “When Allah drowned Firaun, he said (while drowning), ‘I believe that there is no God but He in whom the Children of Israel believe.’ Jibreel said to me, ‘O Muhammad! If you could have seen me when I took the mud from the sea and shoved it into his mouth, fearing that the mercy of Allah might save him.’” [Tirmidhi]
There’s a lot of turmoil occurring in the world, from Gaza to Ferguson, MI. But people are rising up, and the world is listening. With a death toll of 160,000 people and a displacement/refugee toll of over 6.5 million men, women, and children, the conflict in #Syria has continued with little to no coverage by the media. Remember the brave men and women fighting for their lives every day and going unnoticed. They deserve our support, too.
Mera har saans to khoon chore mayra
Teri rehmat magar dil na tore mera
- Parents: We want you to be a doctor.
- Me: Great. I want to be a doctor and make you guys proud.
- Parents: But we don't want you to stay late on campus to get help on your homework.
- Me: …
- Parents: We also don't want you to join clubs that will help you get into medical school.
- Me: …
- Parents: It's really unnecessary to volunteer. Don't volunteer at all ever.
- Me: …
- Parents: These programs that you tell us will make your med school application better are not good for you. Don't do internships. Or jobs.
- Me: …
- Parents: It would be great if you could go to uni and spend the least amount of time there, come straight home and after a few years get magically into medical school. See our formula is full proof.
- Me: But that's not how it works.
- Parents: You're giving me a headache, why can't you be a good girl and just become a doctor and stay home. I walked to america with my bare feet and gave birth to you inside a volcano, and you do this to me? Acudubillah.
- Me: … <p> </p>
"Whoever wants to have everlasting peace and well-being with no affliction does not understand the meaning of Allah’s commandments, nor does he perceive the meaning of submission to Allah. Every soul (either believing or disbelieving) shall inevitably taste suffering in this world, for this life is based on hardships. Man lives between comfort and suffering."
-Imaam ibn Al-Jawzee (rahimahullah)
Photo taken by Pamela Ross